Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Communicating

Although this event will be only one small (warm) ripple in school events, I cannot help but think that the thought and skills behind my campaign to #getthewordout would provide a fine internship for an upper level student inasmuch as it leverages writing, design, and the flexibility of digital resources to a purpose; in this case a casual event, but a also perfect fit for sharing a research project.

First, I designed a poster that went through 3 or 4 versions. Once created as a document, I made image and PDF versions of it that became handbills, postcards, email graphics and tabletop displays.

Next, I composed a signed invitation letter to for staff mailboxes. This also went through several edits to get the tone and purpose focused. I composed two versions; one for MS/HS, one for Elementary.
I then created a more contemporary version of the information as Keynote slides, which I exported as images. These became tabletop displays, posters and mini-posters, as well as my screensaver, and foyer flatscreen display.

Then I wrote a script for a short video about what a coffeehouse is. I posted on our website so that I can email the link to students.
https://www.aftoncsd.org/coffeehouse1.aspx

In all, it has been an exercise in determining who my audiences are, creating prideful initial documents that I can then output in a variety of formats to become digital and print resourcs that help build engagement for the event.

Imagine a student preparing a research project to share and not just settling for one format, but flexing the digital possibilities with a few extra keystrokes to become so much more.


No comments: