Friday, June 1, 2012

This is good

So it's taken me awhile, but I think I am about to be able to incorporate our collection of Afton history -  "The Way We Were" articles by Afton town historian Charles J. Decker (of which we are in possession of over 800!) - into our circulation database.

I posted a sample image (see the memorial Day image in the previous post) at the Internet Archive, then created a MARC record that references that image. And the link works!

Earlier in the year I drafted a template for student use. My thinking is we can address Close Text Reading in some of our classrooms by having students read a selection of these historical articles and "tag" them with descriptors that I can then use when cataloging them.



I think it will be so cool that students researching the Great Depression, the Civil War, or the growth of technology will see among their "hits" specific resources that tie those topics to our home town.

No comments: