Friday, November 2, 2012

City sites

A graph of Metro Area Population Rank over time in the U.S. (from PeakBagger). What a great well for questions in a review of U.S. History with students. Here are some I had:


A desktop-filming of a Jing-recorded screen capture that would not "run" from Screeencast.com. I win!

Another fine cities graphic at thingsmadethinkable: an animated map of the top ten most populous cities in the world over time.

I sought out both of these sites as I am reading The City by Joel Kotkin (a Modern Library Chronicles Book from our ACS Library). In 160 pages Kotkin sweeps us through the common and unique stories and forces that have framed the rise and fall of cities in the world. His overview really unites or at least reveals how many global isms and events relate to each other; all within the context of these engines we know as cities. I am ripe with facts and new insights!

No comments: