Friday, April 27, 2012

Reading palms

Talk to me about Library 2.0. Talk to me about digitization of resources and about the seamless access to resources. Tell me those positive charges humming with servers will endure, and that the grid will endure, and the that spider-web of inter-connectivity will persist fifty, one-hundred, a thousand years.

Reading in the New Yorker about some temple intrigue in India, the author included this paragraph about an archive that has been in use 700 years:
"One day, I visited the central archive of Trivandrum, whose records go back to the thirteen-hundreds. At first glance, the place looked like a warehouse for wicker mats.  Until a century ago, scribes, using metal styluses, recorded the temple’s activities on long palm leaves, and the archive’s hallways were lined with shelves containing bundles of dried fronds.  An archivist showed me one leaf that was a yard long and an inch wide. It was the original deed from 1750, in which the Maharaja have his kingdom to the deity. There were ten million leaves like it in the archive."
I will check back in 700 years to see how this blog has fared.

No comments: