Friday, March 9, 2012

The Path of Learning

So my son, the geography-guy, Tweets a link about marinetraffic.com. It is late at night when I read it, so I email the Tweet to myself. This morning at school I use that email link to visit the site. It graphically represents port activity around the world in real time; indicating tankers, freighters, in transit/anchored, and destinations. Cool.



So I walk down to tell the Global Studies teacher who is immediately interested and who pulls out an article on the Strait of Malacca that he uses in class to dramatize global commerce. I return to the library and print out marine reports for him focusing on Singapore, Dubai, the coast of China, and Los Angeles . They lend themselves wonderfully to DBQs. A successful voyage; all the way to Afton HS.

No comments: