Thursday, December 5, 2019

Mapping Crimea

So, I am reading through the print New York Times that arrived at school over the Thanksgiving break. This article about Apple Maps redrawing the border of Crimea so that it is included in Russia rather than the Ukraine, even though the US and the European Union do not recognize the annexation, intrigued me. (I'm often asking whether the world is ruled by states or companies.)

And indeed when I called up Apple and Google maps, there was the border (red in Google maps while all other national border were yellow). I had a problem, however, getting myself oriented between the two maps (in truth I haven't ever used Apple maps in the 6 years I have had the machine) because of the amazing difference in the contour of the area due to the drop in the level of the Black Sea!

No comments: