Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Everyone is invited

I have enjoyed my morning on this "snow day" from school by slowly reading my way through The Best American Poetry 2018, Dana Gioia, editor. It is a thoughtful birthday gift and and an inspiring read. As always, I underline poignant passages and circle page numbers in the Table of Contents of my favorites ( this time through).

And as always, I only read the Foreward and Introducrion, if at all, when I am done. Glad I did.

Gioia' s essay tried to get a handle on the state of poetry in our culture in this time. His observations on its variety, it's avenues of outreach, the rebirth of spoken poetry through performance and video, and the democratization of its voice and residencies was so encouraging to me; even as I think of our own "coffee houses" at ACS. His words are good kick in the pants as I urge myself to stand up more for reading and literature.

"All styles are possible, all approaches open, and everyone is invited."

No comments: