Thursday, January 25, 2018

Collaboration: what I can bring to the table

We have some happening people in our P.E. department. One of them asked me as I was passing in the hallway if I might be able to make a boat they could use for instruction before and after pool class for their elementary students; looking to fill that time with some related instruction...and fun.

So I had great fun in the afternoon working out a large drawing of a rowboat that I thought they might adhere to the wall or that I might be able to render on the tile floor with tape; using it to teach port/starboard, etc.
Then I got thinking about other cross-curricular images that might be appropriate for that age group while waiting for pool in that hallway. How about fish? In particular fish that they might catch in our area. I found some wonderful images at a NYSDEC Flickr page.

I made a Keynote slide show of about 20 of them.
Then I took some images of the pool hallway, and made a mock-up of what it might look like using the reduced fish images with the backgrounds removed (hurray Instant Alpha!).
I used these images when I talked to the P.E. staff; suggesting they might focus on fish identification (same & different, attention to detail) as well as measurement and estimating (I incorporated a ruler in one image).

We decided we would try images taped to the wall as a starter, and consider images more permanently modge-podged to the wall if the idea has merit.

Whether the idea flies or not, what IS instructive about this is the "no-harm-in-asking" a colleague about collaboration; it's not - do my work for me, it's - lets leverage our vision and talents to make something special for kids.

No comments: